Sure, #weneeddiversebooks so that my future kids know they can be heroes…
…but we also need diverse books so that white readers know my kids can be heroes, too.
I think this is really important because Andrew Garfield said something that really resonated with me about how when Stan Lee created the character of Peter, he made him a nerd so he could tell the underdog story. And now strait, white male nerds aren’t really underdogs anymore. A lot of them are saying things like that ^
god bless sdcc
The #YoungLords, a militant community-based group in the 1960s & ’70s, honored with a street naming today in #ElBarrio, #NYC. Photo: Andrew Padilla
Why you should be in passionate love with Elizabeth ‘Nellie Bly’ Cochrane
- Born in 1864/65, Elizabeth, one of 15 children, was always ‘the rebellious one’. Fierce as fuck from an early age, she testified against her abusive stepfather in her mother’s divorce trial.
- In 1880 she enrolled in a teacher-training college but had to leave after her first semester due to lack of funding - then moved to Pittsburgh to help run a goddamn boarding school.
- This is where we get to the good shit. Age 18, she wrote a letter-to-the-editor of the Pittsburgh Dispatch bitchslapping the everloving fuck out of a sexist ballsack of an article entitled ‘What Girls Are Good For’.
- The editor was so goddamn wooed by her razor-sharp tongue that he RAN AN AD asking her to identify herself. Elizabeth owned up, and was hired instantaneously, her badassery radiating from her pores and intoxicating all within a twenty mile radius.
- Working under the pen-name Nellie Bly, Elizabeth kicked the butts of morons everywhere, writing articles aimed at social justice, particularly labour laws to protect working ‘girls’ and reform of Pennsylvania’s divorce law, which greatly favoured men.
- Not content with changing the world from behind her desk, Elizabeth became a founding mother of investigative journalism. She was expelled from Mexico for exposing political corruption, and henceforth wrapped in cotton wool by her editors. Infuriated by their mollycoddling, Lizzie left them a note essentially telling them to fuck themselves and hot footed it to NYC. She was still only 23.
- Within six months she was hired by Joseph fucking Pulitzer himself, and continued her batshit crazy investigations uninhibited. Her very first assingment had her feigning mental illness to expose repulsive conditions in Blackwell’s Island Insane Asylum. Her cutting report was so fucking horrifying, compelling and persuasive that it triggered public and political action, leading to reform of the institution.
- In the next couple of years she had herself thrown in jail and hired by a sweatshop, all for shits and giggles. Oh, and to uncover incomprehensible injustice, cruelty, poverty, and the concealed, heinous treatment of the vulnerable and voiceless.
- But was pioneering journalism, social revolution and batshit badassery enough for our Liz? Like fuck it was. On a whim Nellie did what any self-respecting 25 year old woman in the 1800s would do - she emulated Jules Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days, and did it in 72.
- Millions followed her journey, and its appeal to a semi-literate populace resulted in greatly increased newspaper readership. So while travelling the entire globe (IN THE 1800s, AS A WOMAN) by ship, train, burro and balloon, she helped the world to read.
- Having essentially conquered the entire goddamn universe before hitting 30, Nellie retired, and wed 72 year old industrialist Robert Seaman. Their marriage was a happy one, and after his death she took over Iron Clad Manufacturing Co.
- But Lizzie was a writer, what would she know about the metal industry? Well, she INVENTED the steel barrel that became the model for the widely used 55-gallon drum and turned her inherited businesses into multimillion-dollar companies, so apparently a fuck ton.
- Furthermore, she set a precedent for working conditions, ensuring her workers had good pay, gymnasiums, staffed libraries, and health care, all completely unheard of at the time, while still writing to further the plight of the Suffragette movement.
- Nellie may have died age 58 of pneumonia, but HBICs live on forever.
Um, holy shit.
Wow. Why the hell have I never heard of her before?
Because she’s not a man.
Why does she not have a movie yet?
Yeah there’s that. Now a show me a racial breakdown. It’s seriously sad.
I think it says something that this got three likes on facebook but over 15,000 notes on tumblr.
When ur hair won’t listen to you and its a mess and ur just like ???? I grew you myself??? I gave you life and this is how you repay me??
is that how parents feel
On the left is Richie, my fiancé, about a year and a half into our relationship and pre-t. He had come out as trans to me about a few months prior to that. On the right is Richie 4 years later and almost 3 years on testosterone. We’ve been together almost 5 years now and his birthday is coming up.
I created a secret top surgery fund for him in hopes to surprise him for his birthday on August 30th. I’m not at all expecting $5000 to be raised by then, in fact, I don’t have any kind of expectation towards the amount raised before his birthday. I just wanted to get this started for him as a surprise to remind him that there are so many people that love him and support him and are wishing him a happy birthday and I know any amount donated would be the best birthday surprise he could ever receive.
Right now, Richie doesn’t believe that top surgery will ever be a reality for him and I want to change that incredibly dangerous mind set. A whopping 41% of trans* people attempt suicide. Richie’s dysphoria, negativity and hopelessness has been growing at an alarming rate. I want to do everything I can to prevent and/or limit the amount of pain he has to deal with on a daily basis. Top surgery would undoubtably eliminate a big chunk of it.
Richie has been medically transitioning for almost 3 years. He has identified as trans for about 4 years. In that time, he has seen so many of his friends within the community get top surgery and it has been a silent struggle for him. He has become more reclusive, isolated and depressed. I don’t want Richie to ever feel inhibited by his body and/or isolated because of it. This year for his birthday, I want him to truly believe that top surgery is entirely possible for him and unquestionably going to happen in the near future. I can’t do that alone, so I’m reaching out to his family, friends, my followers on tumblr, as well as any kind strangers who may know what it feels like to deal with dysphoria or just want to help out an amazing guy who has done so much for others. I honestly can’t imagine anything better than knowing that we all helped make it possible for him to live happily, authentically and without fear or insecurity of his identity, by contributing to the single most liberating and defining moment in his life. I know top surgery will change his life forever and I know that it is something that will give him back that contagious spark and thirst for life that he used to have and remind him that he once thought the world was beautiful and it still is.
Please spread the word by reblogging and if you’re capable of donating anything, you have no idea how much it is appreciated. No amount is too little so please do not feel embarrassed if you can only donate a dollar or two, I’m still just as humbled by your generosity.
For those of you who have already donated and/or have been reblogging and sharing this with your followers or friends, I am forever indebted to you all.The link to donate:http://www.gofundme.com/topsecrettopsurgery
I will not stop reblogging this until he doesn’t ever have to worry about wearing a binder for 12+ hours a day and come home with bruises on his back, or be afraid that someone will see the outline of his binder through his shirt and be outed, or doesn’t have to close his eyes whenever he takes a shower because the sight of his chest right now makes him feel further disconnected from his body. This is no way to live and as his partner, I can’t sit idly by and allow him to continue half-living like this.
I’ve gotten in touch with Rodeoh.com, thanks to an amazing follower Stefanie. They have agreed to offer a $25 gift certificate to all contributors of $100 or more!!
If you haven’t, check out the website, there are so many great products from rodeoh and hopefully this will encourage more people to donate for a great cause!
SIGNAL BOOST. Let’s keep this going! I’ve seen pictures of random pretty girls get hundreds of thousands of reblogs and likes. Let’s like and reblog something that will potentially change someone’s life forever. You can make an impact that significant and powerful in a strangers life, it’s your choice and you can make that choice right now by reblogging the hell out if this.